Aris Allen Women's 1940s Black Velvet & Mesh Mary Jane
- Aris Allen Women's Mid-Heel 1940s Velvet and Mesh Mary Jane Dance Shoes feature a Suede Sole and Mesh Vamp.
- Detailed Strap with two cutouts.
- Flexible Suede-Leather Sole and Supportive foam insole.
- Perfect Women's Swing, Balboa, or Ballroom Dance Shoes.
- A well-known tap performer and instructor has proclaimed these "perfect for tap" because the heel is lower than normal and because its placement is "directly under the heel".
- These women's black velvet & mesh mary jane swing shoes are an exact copy of a pair of 1940s dress shoes. They're stunningly sexy despite the relative shortness of the heel.
The molded foam insole is nice and soft.
The heel is about 2.25" high.
The buckle is attached with a piece of elastic so it has a little "give" when you're up on your toes and has a hook closure "quick release buckle" so you only have to buckle them once and unhook them to undo the strap.
We've found - by trying these on countless dancers - it is best to go up a half size for a better fit.
Dancers with Narrow Feet: happy
Dancers with Average Feet: happy
Dancers with Wide Feet: not happy
ABOUT SUEDE SOLES:
- These are made with Suede Soles which are wonderful to dance on but require occasional upkeep (it's usually a problem with catching the edge on a piece of hardwood that is sticking up on the dance floor).
- If you need to re-glue the suede many people just use crazy glue gel. We have also found that commercially produced shoe repair glue (available from the shoe repair shop in your local mall) works great.
- You're not supposed to wear suede soles outside - but every swing dancer knows that you can make suede soles faster by wearing them everywhere to get them dirty, then dance in them until they're shiny on the bottom.
- If you prefer them less zippy you can dull the "mirror finish" they can get by roughing them up with a wire brush periodically. Just remember that when they get wet in the rain they won't spin very easily (conversely - if they're too slippery just spill your drink on the floor and step in it!).