Aris Allen White Wingtip Athletic Mary Jane Swing Dance Shoe
- These are adorable Wingtip Mary Janes and have a very low heel and suede-bottom sole.
- Mary Janes are great dance shoes as they have a strap that allows you to control the fit at your instep.
- The upper has perforations around the wingtip and heel cup - just dressy enough to wear when you're dressing up.
- Made with flexible suede-bottom soles and a soft foam footbed which is perfect for dancers of all skill levels. The design of these - with the low heel and strap - gives you almost cat-like agility on the dance floor.
- Aris Allen is known for making vintage style swing dance shoes and reproduction models that are more authentic equipment for dancing swing than ordinary ballroom shoes are. Their philosophy being that your dancing will look more authentic if you wear the same style of shoes the inventors of the dance were wearing. And if you can't do that then you'd better be in something comfortable because swing dancing is like running track :)
- Please check the sizing recommendations before placing your order.
- Item #: 8056-WH
- The heel is almost 1” so it looks like an ordinary shoe, but because the shock-absorbing sole is 1/4” your heel is only a half inch higher than your sole - which really helps your stability.
- The adjustable “set-it-and-forget-it” buckle on the ankle strap allows you to set your desired fit and slip the strap in and out of the “J” hook closure without needing to readjust it every time you wear the shoes. The buckle is attached with a piece of elastic so it has a little “give” when you're up on your toes.
- The molded foam footbed is removeable so you could easily add your orthotics if you wanted.
- When you wear these you'll feel like a cat - nimble, surefooted, ready to spring into action - but with the slide- and spin-ability that suede soles give you. They look close enough to a dress shoe to wear with skirts, but act like an athletic sneaker.
(Our returns show we are right about 90% of the time)
We've found - by trying these on countless dancers - it is best to go up a half size for a better fit.
- If you're in between two sizes, you may need to go with the larger of the two sizes you usually fit.
- Women with wide feet or high arches say that the strap is just barely or not long enough. Because of this, we do not recommend this shoe for women with wide feet or high arches.
This is a new version of a shoe we've carried for years - so it may not fit you exactly like the older versions did.
ABOUT SUEDE SOLES:
- These are made with suede soles which are wonderful to dance on but require occasional upkeep (it's usually a problem with catching the edge on a piece of hardwood that is sticking up on the dance floor).
- If you need to re-glue the suede many people just use crazy glue gel. We have also found that commercially produced shoe repair glue (available from the shoe repair shop in your local mall) works great.
- You're not supposed to wear suede soles outside - but every swing dancer knows that you can make suede soles faster by wearing them everywhere to get them dirty, then dance in them until they're shiny on the bottom.
- If you prefer them less zippy you can dull the “mirror finish” they can get by roughing them up with a wire brush periodically. Just remember that when they are wet from walking in the rain they won't spin as easily (conversely - if they're too slippery just spill your drink on the floor and step in it!).